What I’ve been doing with Vue data!

Emporia Energy Community Share Your Emporia Experience What I’ve been doing with Vue data!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      playfair

I really like this device, and the information it provides!

Besides making it easy to identify every wire in the panel box, I was able to better balance the phases for backup generator use.  My wife was worried I would begin micro-managing all energy usage (and it is amazing how long she uses the blow dryer!), but my real purpose of getting a Vue was simply to gain a better understanding of what’s going on and how changes effect usage.

I routinely download the .csv files and plug into a spreadsheet for better visualization and archiving.

The first graph on the below snapshot shows the power on each phase leg vs. the sum.  A couple circuits were moved around to get things close, and balance inductive loads.

The second graph shows the gas furnace % run time per hour, compared with the outdoor temperature.  We don’t currently set back the temperature, but I will try it soon to compare to data I took years ago which confirmed that 8 hrs is the break-even point.  I’m also looking at a way to add solar radiation to the plot, as during the rare sunny day in western NY winters the furnace runs MUCH less (I don’t yet have solar panels).  Fun fact:  The 100% spike on Jan24 was when the back door to the garage was wind-blown open while we were away- a notification was sent out for excessive running!

The bottom graph is perhaps the most interesting…  It shows the cycle rates of the compressor appliances (no dehumidifier until spring!).  The furnace isn’t plotted, but I was able to confirm it cycles 3 times per hour as claimed by thermostat design.  Initially the run time on all of the coolers was significantly higher, but found their temperatures were too cold; resetting freezers to 0F, and fridge to 40F insured more reasonable consumption.

• #6845 Report Abuse
      jj613

This is very nice.  I think I’ll take a stab at it.

How do you get the input phases independently?   The app doesn’t show that.  Is it in the download data?  I haven’t tried that.

I initially put sensors on all my generator loads but that was a mistake.  Some of them are very uninteresting, especially the gas boiler … it peaks at 100 amps and never uses any noteworthy power or energy.   So I added sensors on the generator feed and will move some off the loads to more interesting circuits.

• #6852 Report Abuse
      playfair

Yes, the downloaded data has both mains independently. Be careful… Data analysis is addicting!

You get a zip file containing Day, Hour, Minute (most useful), and Second data (for 3 hrs only) for the range you specify.

To keep tabs on most all loads, I have many pushing 2 circuits through 1 CT, for example the furnace and garbage disposal are together, but easily distinguishable.

• #6854 Report Abuse
      jj613

@playfair how do you monitor the disposal?     The *power* usage is transient and the 1-second data gets forgotten very quickly, at least in the app … they don’t even retain it for a day.      Do they retain in longer in the data downloads?  Or are you automatically downloading it frequently?    The *energy* usage is so miniscule that it does not appear at all on day/week/month views.   What am I missing?  Thank you.

• #6855 Report Abuse
      playfair

The 1 sec data is retained for 3 hrs At the time of the download. It is really only significant for startup spikes. I grouped the disposal with the furnace because it’s easy to tell them apart, and it’s mainly the furnace that I monitor.

• #7688 Report Abuse

playfair – I am sure you know this, but going to mention it for anyone else who sees this:

When combining loads on a single CT, make sure you combining loads on the same phase.  Most panels (at least in my area) alternate phases as you go down the breakers.  If you join adjacent loads (different phases) they will cancel each other out.

• #7702 Report Abuse
        rpertusio

7_2kW_in_Mesa_AZ, I believe you can simply pass 1 of the 2 circuit’s wire the other direction through the CT, and it will keep from cancelling due to being different phases.

• #7704 Report Abuse
      jj613

@rpertusio That might work (in theory, I haven’t tried) but it would prevent some functions of the app from working especially the “Balance” function.

I think your approach might make sense if you are monitoring ALL  your circuits, so there is no Balance, you don’t use the app so yo don’t care about its functionality, and you only use the data downloads.   In that case, in fact, you could probably use the ABC inputs for more circuits rather than for the main legs.

• #7705 Report Abuse
      rpertusio

Here’s a different thread in this forum about clamping multiple into 1 CT

Clamping multiple wires | Emporia Community (emporiaenergy.com)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by rpertusio.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.