2 2nd Generation Vues

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ryanhoelzer

This has been discussed some in other threads but I wanted to start fresh with my actual install.

I have 2 Vue units, Vue 1 on Leg A, Vue 2 on Leg B Mains.

If I have the circuit sensors that connect to Leg A connected to Vue 1 and the Leg B connected to Vue 2, I have a small balance on both units, about 3 amps, that cancel each other out.

If I swap the mains they both have a small balance, about .10 Amps.

I can almost wrap my head around this being correct, you just don’t see it that way on a normal install because you have 1 unit connected to both mains?

But most of my brain still says the loads on those breakers should match the main?

And maybe I need to take another look at the panel and make sure the breakers match up the mains the way I think they do..

• #6817 Report Abuse
      waterboyz

I think that most people install the main CTs for both Gen2s on the mains as a normal setup.  It is easier.

The Gen2-A will see the usage on the main and its’ CTs.  The Gen2-B will see the usage on the main and its’ CTs.  I’m guessing that both Gens will see the same overall usage.  You would, naturally, be concerned with the usage from the individual CTs.

• #6823 Report Abuse
      ryanhoelzer

If you did that you’d show double your actual total usage if you looked at the totals.  If you ignored the balances they should be accurate, but the whole idea of having these individual sensors is being able to not have a balance, being able to know where every bit of energy is being used if you want to.

If you just want to know how much you’re using total or on a few devices you just need the mains or a few sensors.

• #6824 Report Abuse
      waterboyz

The Gen 1 and Gen2  stand by themselves.  You can not add Gen1 totals and Gen2 totals.  Each Gen should show the same overall consumption.

Am I missing something?  As I raise my adult beverages to you.

• #6825 Report Abuse
      ryanhoelzer

If you put 2 Gen 2s on both mains, they’re both going to show the same total (whole house total) with balances that also add up to the total.

As far as the software goes, they don’t know they’re on the same system.  By putting each only on one main each is reading half of the system giving the system total.

Ideally, someday, the software will combine them.

Cheers

• #6834 Report Abuse
      waterboyz

I do understand what you are saying.  I’m still wrapping my head around the work-arounds.

• #6895 Report Abuse
      jj613

A couple of thoughts:

1) As you say it’s easy to mix up the phases on a large panel.      Double and triple check that you’ve hooked things up the right way.

2) How are you measuring?   Second?  Minute?  Month?   I have issues with the second and minute data and not sure how well you can compare two circuits that you expect to balance.  I don’t know if that will do what you think it should.   But if you are looking at week or month data it ought to behave as you expect.

3) The 3 Amp balance may be when you have the main sensors backwards in relation to the load sensors?  0.1A may be within error margin .. would need more details.

• #6897 Report Abuse
      waterboyz

jj613 said:

“…2) How are you measuring?   Second?  Minute?  Month?   I have issues with the second and minute data and not sure…”

I read, in here somewhere, that the second readings are not really by the second.  An average of a few seconds.  Yeah, I know, splitting hairs here.

But hey, I’ve been wrong a few times in the last few days.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.