240v double pole breaker and Amps

Emporia Energy Community Support Center Hardware and Installation 240v double pole breaker and Amps

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      chavelka

Very cool product, I have installed the Vue v2 and 16 sensors. I have used it to diagnose and monitor servers in my crypto mining farm and found I could actually see when the server started to get wonky and power fluctuated greatly or the server froze. I was able to set up alerts for this now I can tell when I lose a miner in my mining farm.

My question is , on a 240v dual breaker circuit I used a single sensor and tried the 2x multiplier. While this seems OK from a wattage perspective. The  amperage looks off.  The Vue reads .05amps while the Power Distribution units readout and a gauge I have monitoring the load at the socket read .20amps

Not sure how you get a correct wattage measurement with the .05 amp reading?

Thanks and I really enjoy the product.

• #7144 Report Abuse
      Emporia Support
      Emporia Staff

Hello @chavelka Love to hear how you are using our Vue to monitor your crypto mining farm…very cool!   The multiplier does not impact Amperage as amperage on a dual breaker is not additive.   However, the AMPs should be displayed correctly if the watts are as well.   Can you please provide a screenshot or reach out to our support team so we can look at this situation in more detail?

Garrett

• #7185 Report Abuse
      chavelka

I looked over the measurements and they were actually correct. I just read the amps incorrectly at a certain point. I verified with the meter I have attached to the wall.

As far as Crypto Mining in the house you have to be careful and understand how much power consumption the mining rigs use and to spread the load around the house initially. I used the Emporia to analyze the usage and found my self lowering my electric bill even after running a mining rig for a few months. Pretty amazing.

The next phase was to use an old basement abandoned dryer 250v electrical box I had in my basement. I wanted to see if it was used over time by anything in the house. The installation on the Emporia made me get motivated and document all my circuits and backup generator links. I now have a detailed picture of all my circuits and back up leads most of them are monitored.

Once I felt I the dryer circuit was not used anymore, put a new socket NEMA L6-30 and a  DROK 80-300V in an attached box to see the voltage locally in front of the mining rig as most miners do. I found the PDU meter, the DROK and the Emporia all gave me good readings however I noticed that in the charting on the Emporia I could see some of the miners components behaving badly from an electrical standpoint. This was not picked up by the mining software. I would lose a video card and the voltage would drop dramatically. This lead to adding alerts so I could modify my configs. Usually this is because you are pushing these video cards too hard or undervolting them too much etc. Mining is about power to performance ratios as well as power/performance  to reliability.

That being said I love having the ability to know when a miner goes offline of a period of time or the wattage drops and I can tell there is an issue. This is important if Im away from home as I cannot always reboot the rig if the software locks up and I have been able to catch this with voltage drops. On one rig that runs on 120v I use my Insteon wall socket to remotely powercycle that circuit. On the 240v mining rigs I think I have now tuned them to the point where the rig itself can respond to issues and reboot itself.  I then use the Emporia to alert me and is a great back up to know rigs are having issues.

This product is so sensitive I can actually see in a multi GPU mining rig that the wattage fluctuating means trouble is coming and a card is behaving badly.

My plans are to use another  Emporia at my shop as Im building a larger production mining rig and feel I could not live without this visibility. I work with a lot of network monitoring products in my day job and we always say “you cant fix what you cant see”.

As a bonus I use the monthly measurements by dollar to charge back my business for my specific electrical usage. The miners in my house and at my shop are in shared environments and pealing off usage that is specific to the mining business is nice for accounting proposes. My shop is a separate business with separate partner.

Emporia is  the best internet IOT/OT product I have used in a long time and could spend hours talking about uses cases.

Thanks.

• #7281 Report Abuse
      waterboyz

Be careful Chevelka, the marketing wizards at Emporia will start hawking their monitoring system to Miners and charge a premium and you may not get an over-ride…..HAHA

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘240v double pole breaker and Amps’ is closed to new replies.