Allow at least one circuit to read up to 100A

Emporia Energy Community Product Ideas Allow at least one circuit to read up to 100A

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dborn

Being in Canada, my furnace can pull close to 100A, so right now I can’t keep track of it individually. It can only be part of the ‘Balance’ line in the app. Having the ability to use the 3rd 200A connection at the top (in replacement of one of the 16 inputs if needed) or having a special 100A current sensor (plugging into a normal 50A connector) with a custom multiplier, etc. would be great. Even a separate device connecting to wifi would be great.

Thanks for listening,

Daniel

• #6640 Report Abuse
      dborn

Ok, I think I understand why this isn’t possible with the current gen2 hardware.

Is there any counter-indication in having a second gen2 device inside the same breaker box but only using the two main 200A sensors connected to my 100A 240V furnace?

• #6880 Report Abuse
      smithsrsn

Interesting comment. I wonder if you can help shed light on my situation since it sounds like you have actual experience with this.  I currently monitor my 100Amp sub-panel with the 50A CT sensor on one leg and use a multiplier of 2. So far it has been accurate because I have not drawn more than 30 Amps on my sub-panel. So will the KWH usage cap out when the total draw on the sub-panel exceeds 50Amps?

• #6882 Report Abuse
      smithsrsn

Sorry, my mistake. Now that I just looked at my app, I have a 50 Amp CT sensor on both legs of my sub-panel, but I have the same question. Will the KWH be cap limited when the sub-panel draws more than 50 Amps.

• #6887 Report Abuse
      waterboyz

smithsrsn said:

“Sorry, my mistake. Now that I just looked at my app, I have a 50 Amp CT sensor on both legs of my sub-panel, but I have the same question. Will the KWH be cap limited when the sub-panel draws more than 50 Amps.”

I have a 100amp breaker in my main 200amp panel that is feeding my garage.  It will never pull that much (future-proofing), maybe 35amps tops.  I asked Emporia about my situation and was told by Marty:  “You can use the 50A sensors as they can handle loads up to 75A.”

I recently installed my system so still learning and gathering data.  I have a CT on each leg.  One leg has used 6.237 and the other leg has used 0.001. The leg with usage is probably the lights and beer fridge.  The other leg is probably my air compressor which I have not used in a few weeks.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.