“Approaching Peak” notification should not be checking 24 x 7 x 365

Emporia Energy Community Support Center Emporia App “Approaching Peak” notification should not be checking 24 x 7 x 365

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      OneMan

Hi.  Thanks for delivering this new feature but …

My utility (Arizona) only charges for demand from 3 pm to 8 pm on non-holiday weekdays (Mon thru Fri).  I don’t know of any residential demand rates in the country that measure demand 24 x 7 x 365; all the tariffs I’ve seen are TOU+Demand rates that have limited hours for measuring demand.

I can’t use this feature, because it sends a false alert every weekday when the on-peak period ends at 8 pm and my smart thermostat changes my temperature setpoint and the timer on my electric water heater clicks on.

Another issue is that my utility measures residential demand over the clock hour, not the clock quarter hour like this alert.  The other utility in town measures demand each clock half hour (left half and right half on an analog clock).  A peak quarter hour could be part of a peak hour of the month but not necessarily so it would give more false alerts than it would good warnings.

With Emporia being based in Colorado, and Xcel Energy covering much of the state, I thought I’d look up their residential demand rate which looks to be something new (residential demand rates have existed for Arizona Public Service since 1980, 1981’ish).

Demand Charges (from xcelenergy.com aka Public Service Company of Colorado)
      The “Generation and Transmission” demand charge is based on the one hour of the month where your energy demand (kW) is at its highest between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. weekdays.

This is very similar to Arizona – afternoons, weekdays, measured per clock hour.  So where does your “Approaching 15 minute Peak” every day, every hour notification work?

Support, can you please let Development that we need time-of-day and day-of-week scheduling for notifications?  And to be able to set the measuring period in minutes, or at minimum 15, 30, 0r 60 minutes.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.