Dryer – 240v circuit (using multiplier) on ‘wrong leg’

Emporia Energy Community Support Center Hardware and Installation Dryer – 240v circuit (using multiplier) on ‘wrong leg’

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      duunoit

I was trying to figure out why I had a ~300w spike every 5 minutes showing up in my Balance.  I figured out that it was my dryer running “Wrinkle Prevent” (cycling the drum every 5 minutes).  Also figured out why it wasn’t showing up as my Dryer in the App.  I have that CT attached to one leg and use the multiplier to account for the other leg.  Also learned today that pretty much EVERYTHING in the dryer runs on 120v EXCEPT the heating element.

Does anyone think I should move the CT to the other leg to capture this usage under the Dryer tag?  If I do that, it will be wrong by a factor of two except the heating element usage…

I think it would be best to leave it like it is.  I would guess other 240v loads would be the same way if they use neutral with one of the legs to make a 120v circuit (oven, RV plug, etc.).

• #7334 Report Abuse
      Emporia Support
      Emporia Staff

Hey @duunoit,

You are correct about monitoring multi-pole circuits (and the issue w/ multipliers if the load is not balanced across the circuit).

The best way to remedy this situation would be to use two CT’s to monitor each leg if you have port/CT capacity with your current Vue installation. With this way the complete load is monitored (and each channel will record its own detail w/o the need for a multiplier). We’re currently working on a feature for the application to combine two circuit monitors into a single “monitor” data point, so for the time being, using two CT’s will show two circuits until the update is deployed. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Emporia Support Team

• #8269 Report Abuse
      stevemackie

Also noticed this with our dryer. I put one CT on the “bigger” of the two legs and used a 2.0 multiplier. Do plan on putting one on each leg when I add a second Vue and you update to combine two CTs into one data point.

• #8301 Report Abuse

Steve, I too am waiting for Emporia to fix the issues with 2 units on one panel and suming multiple CTs.  As soon as these features are released I will be buying a second unit.

• #8681 Report Abuse
      DWalls

Has this update been released yet and if so can you tell me how to do it?

Thank you

• #8682 Report Abuse
      yyzguy

I’m in the middle of installing my system and was wondering about this exact kind of thing while staring at the two hot and one neutral line

• #9130 Report Abuse
      Joelking

Do you have any update or time frame when will be able to monitor combining two unit. I have 30 unit and solar but don’t want to buy another 16 unit just yet. Thinking you may not get a software fix out an someone may come out with a unit where I can monitor 40 legs for the same price of a second unit

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.