Splicing sensor cables and using 200A sensor on a 100A subpanel?

Emporia Energy Community Support Center Hardware and Installation Splicing sensor cables and using 200A sensor on a 100A subpanel?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mfaul

I’m installing the Gen 2 Vue  in an external box as there is no room in the main panel. In order to get the sensor wires through the  3/4″ conduit I’ll need to cut the wires and splice them back together inside the box. Is that going to create any problems? Can extensions to the length be done with spliced in wire of the same gauge?

Second, can I use the 200A current sensor to monitor a 100A sub panel circuit?

• #7108 Report Abuse
      scrambler

Did you check if using straight extension cable would pass in the conduit?

What about putting a larger conduit?

• #7113 Report Abuse
      waterboyz

Emporia Staff Jim said:  hello @kkl yes the sensors can be extended with common audio cables, the 50A sensors are 2.5 mm and the 200A sensors are 3.5 mm.   We don’t recommend extending beyond 30ft.

This should also help.

• #7114 Report Abuse
      mfaul

The potential problem I see is getting all sixteen cables through the available 3/4″ conduit. Withh cutting the cables and splicing new sections of the same gauge create any problems?

>>Emporia Staff Jim said:  hello @kkl yes the sensors can be extended with common audio cables, the 50A sensors are 2.5 mm and the 200A sensors are 3.5

>>mm.   We don’t recommend extending beyond 30ft

• #7116 Report Abuse
      waterboyz

mfaul

Maybe you need to post a pic or two so we can understand better.  Are you adding the 3/4″ conduit and box or is it already there?

• #7273 Report Abuse
      jj613

Hi @mfaul all the things you want to try are workable!

I put a picture of mine here https://community.emporiaenergy.com/topic/my-install-pic/

My CTs are in 4 different boxes so I put the Vue2 in its own box with its own door.  I used store-bought audio cables for all the farther CTs.   Try to find ones with 600V rated jackets to avoid inspection problems.  I bought extensions with straight plugs and jacks so they’d go through 3/4″ conduit.   I bought a couple of extra 50A CTs from Emporia and was lucky they came with straight plugs.

For the main panel, with most of the CTs, and these were the ones that came with the Vue2 and all have 90 degree plugs, I installed a 1-3/4″ offset nipple. This saved me a LOT of hassle.

I’d love to see your install pics and hear about your ideas and plans when you are done.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.