200A Sensor Location – One before and one after the main breaker

Emporia Energy Community Support Center Hardware and Installation 200A Sensor Location – One before and one after the main breaker

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi All,

I am new here, but this forum has been helpful in understanding and using the vue 2 monitor/app. Thank you.

So my electrician installed the monitor in my panel. But one of the mains coming from the meter into the panel is not really accessible. So he didn’t install the 200A sensors.

I went ahead and put them myself as shown below. I am not sure if the direction (K->L) is correct.

The installation guide talks about only installing them before the main breaker and said to make sure K is towards the meter and L towards the main breaker. I did that for the top/right sensor that is before the breaker.

However as you can see, the left/bottom sensor that is installed after the breaker is reverse. i.e. K is towards the load breakers and L is towards the main breaker/Meter. I did that because the app complained about one of the 200A sensors being in reverse direction during the setup. So I changed the direction of K->L on the left/bottom sensor as shown, and then the app was happy during the setup.

Is that OK?

BTW I also have Solar (via a 50A breaker at the bottom of the panel). I did switch off the Solar breaker during the setup as the app told me to do.

100A sensor location

Thank you!

• #9422 Report Abuse
      gbrendemuehl

Let me ask you this question, if circuit boxes didn’t have main breakers how would you install it?

“K” is the source side and “L” as the load side. Think of it as the power flows from K to L. The load side is the same both before and after the main breaker (which is just a wire that you can open and close).

But I have no clue say to why it seems to be happy as you have it. As is it should have a negative power measurement. It doesn’t know if you are before or after the main breaker, it should work when power is flowing from K to L.

I would email support. They were good at responding to my questions.

• #9425 Report Abuse

Thank you for the response.

I am not sure why it was happy with K->L reversed on one of the sensors either.

I did send an email to Emporia support right after posting here on 3/3 but I did not get a response as of today.

I went ahead and bought the flexible 200A sensors and installed them around the bus bars (between the main breaker and the circuit breakers). It was a bit more work/more cables but it is working flawlessly so it was worth it.

Thanks again for the response, much appreciated!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.