30 amp dryer dropping in and out

Emporia Energy Community Support Center Hardware and Installation 30 amp dryer dropping in and out

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Nathankirwin

I am setting up my new Gen 2 Emporia Vue. I have an electric clothes dryer on a 2 poll 30 amp breaker. The dedicated electric line comes into the panel from the dryer outlet with 4 wires. White to neutral bar, ground to ground, red to 1 breaker input, and black to the other breaker input. I originally had a single 50A sensor around the red wire with a ×2 multiplier programmed in. I noticed when the dryer was running that the energy reading was going in and out. Dropping to 0 for a minute or two while the dryer was actually running. I’m still setting it up and have plenty of ports and sensors available so I did the following to troubleshoot. First I set the original dryer sensor multiplier to 1. From here until I figure this out, every multiplier related to the dryer will be set to 1.

I ran one additional 50A sensor to the red line, directly next to the one I put on originally. I put a single 50A sensor on the black wire. At this point I had the following inputs programmed into the Vue
      Dryer Red
      Dryer Red Redundant
      Dryer Black

The first bit of info I was able to get is that when “Dryer Red” dropped down to 0 that “Dryer Red Redundant” dropped to 0 at the exact same moment. Okay, now that has been established we are dealing with 2 sensors.
      Dryer Red
      Dryer Black

The following shows exactly what happens. Note that the time stamps for Black and Red are the exact same, the watts are where it differs.

Black
      2:28:59 2765 watts
      2:29:00 1163 watts
      2:30:00 228 watts

Red
      2:28:59 2550 watts
      2:29:00 940 watts
      2:30:00 0 watts

Any ideas?

• #9984 Report Abuse
      Nathankirwin

I recieved the following answer back from support that answered my question.

“Dryers generally don’t have a balanced usage between phases because certain components only draw from one pole. This means that monitoring one side with a multiplier will not give a fully accurate reading. We recommend putting one CT sensor on the red and one on the black leg of that circuit and name them something like Dryer 1 and Dryer 2.”

That answers it!

• #9990 Report Abuse
        emporiacs
        Emporia Staff

We’re always glad to help! Contacting support directly is always the fastest route, and we check in here as well!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.