Monitoring a 100 Amp Circuit (Electric Boiler)

Emporia Energy Community Support Center Hardware and Installation Monitoring a 100 Amp Circuit (Electric Boiler)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      gbrendemuehl

This question has been asked before and I believe the offered solution was to buy another Vue with the 200 amp CTs.  Since the 50 amp and 200 amp CTs both output 0 – 0.333V, would it work to buy a 200 amp CT and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm converter, plug it into one of the 16 circuit sensor ports and set the scaling factor? The factor would be 8.0 (4.0 to account for 200amp vs 50 and 2.0 since it’s a 220v circuit). Does the Vue (gen 2) support a 8.0 scaling factor?

• #9933 Report Abuse
      critter2020

Hey. Did you ever try this with success? I’m in the same situation.

Thanks,

• #9934 Report Abuse
      gbrendemuehl

I did implement a solution. The boiler has a max draw of 63 amps even though it is on a 100amp circuit. The 20 amp CTs are rated for a maximum of 75 amps.  I purchased two of the 20amp CTs with the larger openings and install them. Seems to work fine.

• #10203 Report Abuse
      Scooter133

I was told by Support that the innards of the 16 2.5mm ports are still rated at the 50A. So putting a 200A CT on it with an adapter wont work either.

• #10207 Report Abuse
      gbrendemuehl

I looked at the readings; 15KW instantaneous. If it was limited to 50A, it couldn’t read that amount.

• #10217 Report Abuse
      emporiacs
      Emporia Staff

Hi all, here’s some extra insight that should help:

The Gen 2’s side ports are limited to measuring up to 75 amps regardless of the CT sensor used.  The 50A sensor in a side port will read up to 75 amps but the ±2% accuracy rating only applies on circuits at or under 50 amps. If you chooses to use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to plug a 200A sensor into a side port, you must set the multiplier to 4.0 to get an accurate reading.

Here’s the reference in the knowledge base: https://help.emporiaenergy.com/hc/en-us/articles/9555006954135-CT-s-Sensors-How-they-work-

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.