Monitoring individual 240V inputs

Emporia Energy Community Share Your Emporia Experience Monitoring individual 240V inputs

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I tried searching for this but may not have used the right search terms.  I have a standard US service panel with the center tapped 240VAC supply.  The VUE monitors the total input power to the service panel using two 200A CTs.  What I would like to do is monitor the power on each 120VAC leg of the input.  I think the VUE does that internally and then adds the two sides to report the total input power.

Question 1:  Is there a simple way to display the power for each 120VAC leg?

Question 2:  What would be the problem with running ports in parallel such as Port A in parallel with Port 1?  It appears that a multiplier of 4 can be applied to Port 1 to correct for a 200A CT.  The accuracy would suffer with the large multiplier but should be good enough for my purposes.  This does assume a common return for all the ports and that may not be true.

Question 3:  Are there other ways to monitor the power on the two 120VAC inputs?  Since my maximum loads are in the 30A range, I think I could use two of the large diameter 50A CTs on Port 1 and Port 2.

• #9020 Report Abuse
      djwakelee

#1) Power no.  Amps yes.  If you change the units to Amps (instead of Watts), it will show the Amps on each phase (A and B).

#2) Don’t understand what you are asking exactly.  The A/B ports are to be connected to the mains, whereas ports 1-16 are for the circuits.  I don’t understand why you would want to parallel the two.

#3) Again, not sure what you are asking here.  The power is measured for the whole house with the A and B ports via the 200A clamps on the mains, and you measure individual circuits on ports 1-16 with the 50A CT’s.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by djwakelee.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.