Smart Plug for EU 230V !

Emporia Energy Community Product Ideas Smart Plug for EU 230V !

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      DreamyGo

Hello I received the smart Plugs and I was really disappointed to see that they were only compatible with the 120V network
      I still looked at the electronics inside and what was my surprise to see that it was already ready for the 230V network
      So I made a montage with the EU 230V plug and it works like a charm.
      My question now is why you don’t offer EU smart plugs that work on 230V.
      Your products are of high quality but this Smart Plug EU 230V product is missing in addition to the Emporia energy Gen 2.
      It also lacks the App version translated into French

• #8573 Report Abuse
      djwakelee

What modifications are needed to convert the unit to 230/240V?  Did you just add plug adapters, or change the electronics in some way?  Are the reported power readings correct with your 230V mains?

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by djwakelee.
    • #8575 Report Abuse
      DreamyGo

There is no modification to be made because the capacitors are 400V.
      I just soldered an EU version cable to the US plug and bought a US->EU adapter
      The consumption in watts seems to be correctSmart Plug Emporia 230V

• #8576 Report Abuse
      djwakelee

Thanks for the reply.  Well, I guess I’d have to see the circuit.  Just because the caps are 400V rated doesn’t mean the low voltage power supply will appreciate the 230V long term.  Somewhere in there is a regulator for the ESP8266 WiFi chip, stepping the AC line voltage down to 5VDC or 3.3VDC.  Some sort of DC voltage also needs to drive the relay coil.  Everything on the primary side of that step down circuit would need be able to deal with 230/240VAC.  Proper clearance distances on the circuit board as well.  I’ve not looked at the components or configuration, but confirming 230V safe operation would perhaps take a little bit more checking.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by djwakelee.
    • #8578 Report Abuse
      DreamyGo

I use it to trigger my 150W pool pump and it seems to have been working for several days

• #8579 Report Abuse
      djwakelee

FYI, this link has a photo of some of the internals.  I don’t see the 400V capacitor you mention.  And there are many other parts (and clearances) that would need to be checked.

Hacking the SmartPlug to be always ON.

• #8582 Report Abuse
      DreamyGo

See picture with capacitor 400V, relay 250V and Fuse 16A 250V.

• #8603 Report Abuse
      Emporia Support
      Emporia Staff

Hello @DreamyGo,

We don’t currently make a Smart plug that is compatible with 240V EU/UK style outlets but we are in the process of researching manufacturing partners and are hoping to have one on the market in the next year.

Thanks!

Marty

• #9347 Report Abuse
      DreamyGo

Have you news for Smart plug  compatible with 240V EU/UK  ?

• #9383 Report Abuse
      ktheking

A whole lot of EU residents are eager to get those plugs. Seems Shelly is taking up the market now. I can do it with shelly already, but it gets more costly. Altering 120v for 240v use I wouldn’t do ,as in case of fire, your insurance company would you personally responsable.

• #9392 Report Abuse
      azemporia

What about 220V in the US? That would be great too

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.